This Page

has been moved to new address

Emotional Eating

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: Emotional Eating

This Page

has been moved to new address

Emotional Eating

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: Emotional Eating

Two Boos Who Eat

Welcome to Two Boos Who Eat.

Saturday, January 23, 2010

Emotional Eating

Ugh. Remember yesterday when I told you I was craving junk food? Well, I succumbed and managed to eat a bunch of "junk" for lunch yesterday. I didn't even think to take any pictures.

I felt like crap immediately after eating it and asked myself why I even ate it in the first place. If you want to read a GREAT post on emotional eating check out Caitlin's post over at Healthy Tipping Point

It's funny that I read Caitlin's post about emotional eating (which has great insight) and then I managed to emotionally eat shortly afterwards.

It's one of those things; I was lonely, feeling stressed about my new classes and schedule, thinking about money, worrying about broken relationships with friends, wanting my body to be different, thinking about my knee and heel pain and I WAS BORED!

Usually when I'm bored like this, I call a friend or write about it in my livejournal. (Do any of you have a livejournal?)

Anyway I can't beat myself up over it because today is a new day. I didn't do any major damage calorie-wise and I know that my body will bounce back. I woke up craving healthy food! Instead of feeling guilty and getting even more emotional, I choose to thank my body for bouncing back.

001

Last night Andy and I went on a date. We went to one of our favorite indian restaurants for dinner. We started off with samosas.

002

And shared some saag paneer (spinach and farmer's cheese), some chicken biryani (rice with chicken, golden raisins, cashews and curry) and chicken tikka masala (words can't even describe) and garlic naan.

It was GREAT! Chicken tikka masala is a heavy dish that we try not to eat too often but when we do...oh man! I love it.

I would have loved to try some channa masala (Chickpeas!) or some beigun bhartha (eggplant!) but since it was just the two of us we decided not to go too crazy.

And talking during our date made me feel 100% better. Love that!

So tell me, how do you combat emotional eating? Is it a struggle for you?

Labels: , , , , , ,

17 Comments:

At January 23, 2010 at 2:00 PM , Blogger Janetha @ meals + moves said...

mmmm the indian looks great! i know all about emotional eating when the emotion is BORED. i am a huge culprit of eating when i am bored! i just try to find something to do instead...

xoxo

 
At January 23, 2010 at 2:12 PM , Anonymous homecookedem said...

Oh how I love indian food!! Your's looks so delicious!!

I emotionally eat too. I don't always know why I do it, but tricks like "just chew gum" or "go on a walk" or "call a friend" simply aren't the answer for me. So I usually give in, but try to stick to things like spaghetti squash, veggies, etc. Things with a lot of volume that won't do too much damage. Now, that probably isn't the healthiest of answers to give, but it's the only one I know. If you find a good way to combat it, please let me know!! :)

 
At January 23, 2010 at 4:16 PM , Blogger AllThingsYummy said...

Yum, I love Indian food. Emotional eating is hard to avoid. I made a big pot of macaroni cheese last night cause I was feeling depressed and in need of comfort. When I feel the craving of junk food start I try to listen to happy music or watch a good movie but sometimes french fries or cookies is the only thing to help.

 
At January 23, 2010 at 4:37 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YUMMMM that indian food looks amaze!! I think I emotionally eat out of boredom and/or loneliness, both of which happen when i'm alone so I try to stay busy and with people so I don't feel that way :) A good mom phone call works WONDERS for me! Good luck girlie i'm glad u felt better today!

 
At January 23, 2010 at 5:56 PM , Anonymous Lily @ Lily's Health Pad said...

I guess way of combating emotional eating is to just let it go. If I end up eating too much in one night, I just wake up the next day and start over with a new slate. I think letting go of the shame and guilt is key.

 
At January 23, 2010 at 6:29 PM , Blogger lynn @ the actors diet said...

my entire life all i did was emotional eat, with some hard-core bingeing going on. this last year i've managed to finally overcome it; i'd say the best thing for me was getting through really tough times without bingeing and then reminding myself each time after, "if i could make it through that...." finding new ways to deal with stress takes time but you'll get there! you've got a terrific attitude already so i know you can do it!

 
At January 23, 2010 at 7:32 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i def snack when i get bored-or studying!! before i know it a whole bag of soy crisps will be gone! i guess thats better than chips..haha

 
At January 23, 2010 at 9:30 PM , Blogger Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

I don't usually emotionally eat ... but I have in the past.

I absolutely LOVE Indian food - yours looks fantastic!

 
At January 24, 2010 at 6:00 AM , Blogger Gina; The Candid RD said...

Good for you for "bouncing back" and enjoying the new day. Some people will get caught up in the fact that they ate so much the day before, then starve themselves the next day....thus creating a vicious cycle.

I have the hardest time staying away from food on the nights Nick works late. I'm just bored, watching tv, and need something to snack on. I know I'm not hungry, it's just habit. It's one I am trying to break, or least control a little better. I don't beat myself up over it because it's not to the point where it's really bad, but I still like to listen to my body as much as possible. When I'm not hungry, I shouldn't eat! When I am, I should. I try to get a book and let myself get "lost in it" haha, sometimes it works! It depends on how good the book is :)

 
At January 24, 2010 at 12:16 PM , Blogger Kristen @ Change of Pace said...

Oh my gosh does that food look good! I've never had Indian food and I love trying new things. I am a huge emotional eater! I just remind myself that it NEVER makes me feel better. It really doesn't. It usually makes me feel worse.

 
At January 24, 2010 at 1:09 PM , Blogger Mari said...

I also did a lot of snacking ayer while I was at my mother's. I don't even know how many chocolate covered cherries I ate lol but just like you...today is a new day with better choices =)

 
At January 24, 2010 at 3:36 PM , Anonymous The Paris Food Blague said...

feel better!

it's probably not the best long term tip but if you're bored/upset and feel like eating....paint your nails. nail polish plus cake ain't a pretty picture.

 
At January 24, 2010 at 5:03 PM , Anonymous ashleigh said...

I have been battling emotional eating all freaking week!! I don't have anything that can help you but I wanted to let you know I go through the same thing. It used to be a ton worse and now I don't keep food in my apt that I am apt to emotionally eat (like chips, sweets, etc.) but that doesn't mean I have gotten through it. Yuck, it sucks, but I am glad that you bounced right back.

 
At January 25, 2010 at 6:02 AM , Anonymous Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

I am so proud of you for not beating yourself up! I still occasionally struggle with emotional eating for sure. In fact, on Saturday I think I ate my weight in potato chips because I was at my best friend's birthday party and I was nervous (that everything would go okay), bored at times and a little tipsy. But I woke up the next morning, drank lots of water and started the new day healthy. It felt great :)

I love Indian food, channa masala is fabulous as is baignan bhartha, one of my favorites too!

 
At January 25, 2010 at 6:45 AM , Blogger Naomi(Onefitfoodie) said...

i havent had indian food in SO long! it looks deicious! indian is one my my dads fav cuisines, so for his bday we would always get him smosas from Whole foods and now they stoppe dmaking them! he is so bummed. I tend to just try to keep myself busy to curb the bored eating. it works! i go out, do errands, do my nails so then I def can't munch LOL

 
At January 26, 2010 at 5:24 PM , Blogger LetMeEatCake Eat With Me! said...

emotional eating...that's my m.o. seriously can't help myself and try as i might to fight it i always eat my emotions! food of choice- cake of course =)!

 
At January 27, 2010 at 9:10 PM , Blogger Rose said...

Chickpeas!!!

Amanda, I am so behind on your life. No time for blog reading, and it saddens me. I can't wait to get caught up on what you and Andy have been up to! Hope school is going well.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home