This Page

has been moved to new address

More on Amanda's weight loss

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: More on Amanda's weight loss

This Page

has been moved to new address

More on Amanda's weight loss

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: More on Amanda's weight loss

Two Boos Who Eat

Welcome to Two Boos Who Eat.

Thursday, September 16, 2010

More on Amanda's weight loss

Weight loss. It's a battle for me. Andy too actually but I think it's better for him to share his story on his own. (Hint, hint Andy...)

Unlike my husband, I am still struggling to lose the weight. I gained fifty pounds between high school and my first couple years of college. One of the reasons I gained so much weight had to do with a medication I was on. It was terrible. I come from a relatively thin family and it was hard to see myself fitting in with everyone else.

GRAD

That's me on the left, the day after I graduated high school. Ugh. High school. I had a tough time during my junior and senior year. A lot of kids teased me about my weight gain, I felt uncomfortable in my own skin and I seriously hated how I looked.

I lost a bunch of weight before my high school graduation so I'm not at my highest weight there. I wish I could tell you that I stayed at a healthy weight for a while but I gained most of the weight back right away.

sisters

My weight went up and down all the time.

0659 07.05.09

I gained 15 lbs before our wedding. I tried to lose weight but I was juggling a full-time job, 12-14 units of undergraduate work, wedding planning, family drama and wedding dress stress. I'm a stress-eater.

0402 07.05.09

Despite the weight gain, I still felt beautiful and loved on my wedding day. Andy cried when we had our first look. How can I feel bad about myself when someone loves me so unconditionally?

0408 07.05.09

(Love ya babe)

But I felt bad. I felt horrible.

tired smiles

So we started running. Running a race with your loved one is so motivating. Exercise made me feel strong, got my body fat percentage down and gave me a faster metabolism.

015

I started feeling better about my appearance but for different reasons. I suddenly stopped caring whether I was "skinny" or not. I care if I am healthy or not. I care if I am strong or not.

So I signed up for Weight Watchers. Again. For the third time. This time I'm doing it for the sake of the weigh ins. Weekly weigh ins keep me on track. I don't obsess over calories. I track my daily eats in a notebook aiming to get a higher percentage of protein and less carbs because that works for me. I don't rule any foods out. Forbidding foods will only make this struggle harder for me.

009

But my portions sizes are down. I'm relying on whole foods to keep my body fueled. I'm going to physical therapy to help strengten my body and get me back into the running scene. (I'm hoping to run a 5k with Andy, my sister and her boyfriend at the end of October.)

I weigh-in every Saturday. Last Saturday, they told me that I had lost 3.2 lbs! I was pretty shocked considering what I ate. I didn't sacrifice anything, instead I added in more vegetables, whole grains, lean proteins and fruits. I moved a little more by running a tiny bit, doing HIIT workouts via Jillian Michaels or Jackie Warner dvds, stretched with yoga and obeyed my PT by doing all of the lower body exercises required to heal my knee and IT band. The reality is, eating less and moving more works! I'm hoping to continue to lose every week even if it's only half a pound. I don't want to lose weight in a rush, just to gain it all back. This is a lifestyle, not a diet. I firmly believe that making healthy living a lifestyle has helped me in a major way. As an educator, I also believe that I set an example for young people and that living a healthy life and loving myself helps others as much as it helps me. I don't want people to see this hungry, lazy girl losing weight with the newest diet gimmick. No thanks.

So yeah, my approach to weight loss might not be very original but it's what I need in my life right now. I'd love your support as I go through this journey for what feels like the millionth time. I want to share my success, my fears, my failures and my joy. I'll report every Saturday with the good, bad and ugly. And progress pictures! If you want to know exact numbers, e-mail me and we'll talk.

What do you think of my approach?

Labels: , ,

26 Comments:

At September 16, 2010 at 3:09 PM , Blogger RunEatRepeat said...

I think you are beautiful and thin just the way you are :) Seriously.

But, I know what it's like to not feel "at your best". Treat yourself well and your body and heart should both be happy with that - no matter what the weigh-ins say.

 
At September 16, 2010 at 3:21 PM , Anonymous homecookedem said...

Thanks for sharing more about your history! I've been there. I've bigger than I am now and smaller than I am now. I've been LOTS of different sizes, it's almost embarrassing. Weight has always been a struggle for me and I definitely can relate to a lot of the feelings you described in this post. I am telling you the truth when I say that you are PERFECT just as you are. You look gorgeous. Feel good knowing that you are healthy and living well. And if any weight happens to come off, added bonus. It's obvious Andy is crazy about you and it's easy to see why. Try and see yourself through his eyes. You're doing great!! :)

 
At September 16, 2010 at 3:37 PM , Blogger Tina said...

I think with me it came down to just being unhappy with me...Chris never said anything, no one did, but my confidence was in the toilet. Like you, I stress eat. However, I finally got to that point where I hated what I look like. So, I started listening to my doctor (vitamin D is my friend now!) and watching what I eat. I don't cut anything out but I write it down (livestrong). 12 pounds down as of today (since August 8) and a long way to go, but I know I can do this. I know you can too :-) It's not a diet, it's a lifestyle :-)

 
At September 16, 2010 at 3:40 PM , Blogger Sara said...

Thanks for sharing your story, Amanda. I think your approach is great because it's healthy! I've struggled with my weight my whole life. Though I still need to lose weight, I'm certainly healthier than I was in high school and college (which was so very long ago that I shouldn't compare at this point!). My sisters have always been smaller than me, and that's always been hard, especially since they don't have to work at it. However, my brothers are heavy; one has lost close to 100 pounds, gained some back and is working (successfully) at losing it again. My mom lost almost 150 pounds and has kept it off for ten years!

OK, I'm rambling. Sorry! I guess my point there is that it's good to hear other people's stories; we're not in this alone. And, by the way, I think you're adorable! You look amazing and strong; I hope you feel that way, too.

 
At September 16, 2010 at 6:08 PM , Anonymous allijag said...

You, my dear, are absolutely gorgeous no matter what :)

 
At September 16, 2010 at 6:22 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

You go girl. I absolutely love your approach of just feeling good and eating right along with moving more. Sometimes its so simple yet we dont want to believe it.

Keep up the great work! As being a work in progress, I love hearing other peoples stories.

 
At September 16, 2010 at 7:11 PM , Blogger Heather said...

You are beautiful!!
You are the one who needs to feel that way, though. Treat yourself right, hold yourself accountable, and you will get there.
Thank you for sharing your story - you're inspiring. :)

 
At September 16, 2010 at 7:21 PM , Blogger Amanda (Two Boos Who Eat) said...

You guys are awesome. Thanks for your support!

 
At September 16, 2010 at 8:30 PM , Anonymous Carbzilla said...

Hey there - I did WW off and on for years and until I started lifting weights it was the only thing that worked for me. I even worked for them for a while. I was really glad to see them come up with their whole foods/no counting program (Core, but it's called something else now, right?). I also believe that higher protein, lower carbs (and I do low sugar) works.

You should talk to Lisa from www.110pounds.com. She's had knee and IT Band issues. I'd never even heard of an IT Band until she started to talk about it (But I'm not a runner).

I love that you're caring about your health and strength over a number. :)

 
At September 16, 2010 at 9:08 PM , Blogger Nicci said...

I love that you are losing the healthy way. I started WW a couple months ago...I know you can do this! It's definitely about feeling your best no matter what the scale says.

 
At September 16, 2010 at 9:20 PM , Anonymous Mama Pea said...

You are gorgeous, Amanda. That picture of you and Andy? I die. I've been hit over the head so many times in my life with the message that we have to love ourselves TODAY, just the way we are. I fully support you in your weight loss if that is going to make you happier and healthier. But I also want you to love and feel confident about yourself right now--you have no reason not to! And sadly "right now" is sometimes all we have.

You are so beautiful, inside and out. You are funny, loving and just wonderful. I will tell you that everyday, if you need me to :)

That being said, any way I can help in you making lasting changes for yourself so you are free from this struggle, I will!

 
At September 16, 2010 at 9:37 PM , Blogger Sarah said...

I love you! I love running with you, so I can't wait til you're finished with physical therapy. We must sign up for that 5k :)

Anyway, I miss you and we need to see each other soon. Text me and I can tell you about the chicken babies I saw in Kauai

 
At September 16, 2010 at 9:45 PM , Blogger Yelena said...

Amanda- I really enjoyed this post. I can look through pictures of myself over the last 10 years and I've been at least 5 different sizes. I think we all struggle and I'm looking forward to hearing about your journey and cheering you on.

I think it's important to feel comfortable with ourselves, and doing things to improve our health along with it are great.

That said, you are a beautiful girl and the way your husband looked at you in those pictures made me smile and even choke up a bit. You have someone who loves you and I hope you love yourself just as much.

It's something I'm working on myself :)

 
At September 17, 2010 at 5:04 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amanda (my name too!!), I struggled with my weight all my life due to many various reason and like you medication was one of them (I have congential hypothyrodism). Anyway, due to dieting I developed a conbination complusive eating disorder with compulsive exercising and restrictive eating. Seriously by looking at me you wouldn't know. You would see a person that is very lean and trim. I have in the last few months come to terms with my eating issues and working on many things. I have stopped labeling foods forbidden, I try to eat healthy but don't beat myself up when i have a piece of chocolate, etc. I have read some great books by Geneen Roth and Evelyn Tribole that have helped me out. One thing I learned is to listen to your body (hunger cues) and also diets do not work. Why do you think people keep signing up for them??

 
At September 17, 2010 at 5:54 AM , Blogger Angela said...

Amanda, I think you are beautiful. I did WW for a while and actually lost 30lbs while on it. But I just couldn't afford it month after month and so I quit WW. When I got pregnant with my second baby, I ended up with Gestational Diabetes and my doctor told me that it could come back in the form of Type II Diabetes 5 years later, so I decided that I would continue with the diet that I was on while pregnant and it's worked for me so far. I still eat to much sugar but I've found that in moderation and movement I can keep the pounds off.

I know you can do this and I so can't wait to hear about your run in October. Your going to ROCK that 5k.

 
At September 17, 2010 at 6:14 AM , Blogger Sarah @ See Sarah Eat said...

I think your approach is PERFECT! I love how you said you care more about being healthy and that you aren't in a rush because it's a lifestyle. That was the key for me too, so you are definitely in the right frame of mind :) I wish you much success and I can't wait to see how you do each week. Good luck Amanda!

 
At September 17, 2010 at 6:44 AM , Anonymous brandi said...

Those wedding pictures are precious - I'm seriously SO happy I was able to meet you two in SanFran last year ;) You're something special!

I think your approach sounds awesome and it sounds like something that will be easy for you to do and stay motivated about - and that's the biggest thing to find.

 
At September 17, 2010 at 8:39 AM , Anonymous Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

I've got your back girl! Exercise and real whole foods are the way to go. You can totally do this. :D

 
At September 17, 2010 at 9:30 AM , Anonymous Notes from the Fatty File said...

Your wedding photos are adorable! You guys are such a sweet couple. And you have awesome hair, seriously.

I am a fan of Weight Watchers because it really does help me stay accountable/keep my portions in check. I lost 30 pounds on it. I am a lifetime member but I'm not going to meetings right now -- just tracking and journaling as I try to get back to my wedding weight (which wasn't stick thin to begin with). I am trying not to focus too much on the number on the scale, though (which doesn't move very often) because I'm at my WW goal weight right now and I feel so much healthier because of running and working out, etc.

Anyway, best of luck and keep up the good work!

 
At September 17, 2010 at 10:20 AM , Anonymous Ameena said...

I think we all struggle with something that bothers us so even though I think you look gorgeous just as you are (I told you I am so envious of your perfect skin!) I understand your goal to lose weight. I think your approach is great - if WW weigh-ins work for you I think they are a great idea!

Good luck Amanda...we are here to support you 100%!

 
At September 17, 2010 at 1:05 PM , Anonymous Tina said...

I adore your approach!!! It's the most successful way I have ever found of doing things. In fact, its the same way I will go about losing the baby weight because it works and I don't drive myself crazy.

And you most certainly were beautiful on your wedding day. And today too! :)

 
At September 17, 2010 at 3:31 PM , Anonymous Lesley said...

I'm really liking your blog Amanda, and I think you are a very beautiful girl. However, I can relate to what you're going through, and I think your plan sounds like a good way to go. Best of luck!

And you can totally do it. :)

 
At September 17, 2010 at 5:01 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brilliant!
It's the same approach I've been taking and only just recently realized!

 
At September 18, 2010 at 5:56 PM , Blogger lynn said...

i think you are beautiful, amanda - embrace your uniqueness and life will come through to help you shine and find peace at any size.

 
At September 19, 2010 at 8:02 AM , Anonymous ashleigh said...

Thanks for sharing your weight loss story. I am sure you can meet your goals! I think the fact that you are focusing health is going to help you succeed. 3.2 in the first week is awesome!

Doing WW for the weigh ins is a great idea! I keep thinking of joining for the accountability too but I'm not sure I have the money to do it right now.

By the way you look SO GORGEOUS on your wedding day (and every day!) I love those pictures.

 
At September 22, 2010 at 9:00 AM , Blogger Mari said...

I love your approach!!!!!! I know you will rock this!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home