This Page

has been moved to new address

The Great Race of Agoura Hills- Deena Kastor 5k

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: The Great Race of Agoura Hills- Deena Kastor 5k

This Page

has been moved to new address

The Great Race of Agoura Hills- Deena Kastor 5k

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: The Great Race of Agoura Hills- Deena Kastor 5k

Two Boos Who Eat

Welcome to Two Boos Who Eat.

Sunday, March 28, 2010

The Great Race of Agoura Hills- Deena Kastor 5k

Yesterday Andy and I ran our very first 5k! We decided to run the Deena Kastor 5k at The Great Race of Agoura Hills. The great race is compromised of 2 different half-marathons, a 10k, 5k, kids run and a fun run. (The kid's and the fun run are a mile each.) It was a beautiful day outside for a run. My only complaint would be the wind. It was pretty intense but typical for the area of California we live in.

003

Andy, my sister Sarah (our photographer) and I arrived early at the 5k start point.

006

We were both feeling a little nervous but excited.
008

And how cute is it that our numbers are in sequence? 009

I'm so thankful that Sarah was willing to get up early to cheer us on. Sarah will be running a 5k with us in April.

010
Tons of kids ran the 5k too! (Most of them beat us!)
011
The wind knocked the big blue arch down. Fail.
017 At 8:50am, we took our spots in the middle of the group. About 1200 people ran in this particular race. It was CRAZY! 018 025 Pretty soon it was over and I met up with Andy, my sister and my dad. Andy finished in 33:01 and I was 37:23. We were both pretty excited. I was expecting Andy to do 35 mins and for myself to do 42 mins. (I'm insanely slow!) During the run a woman ran beside me and said, "Let's do this together! We can finish this last mile strong!" We paced each other and did the walk/run thing. I walked a lot more than I would have liked but it was totally worth it.

026

My dad finished his half-marathon in 1:58:27! And he looked fantastic afterwards. I am so jealous of him but excited to finally be running races! I've got to be honest I was hoping that the walk/run thing would save me any knee/heel pain but I'm hurting a ton. I was limping last night! I am planning to take a few days off running, seeing a doctor and then getting right back to training for my next 5k. I plan on finishing in under 35 minutes next time! I've got to thank Mari for all of her support during my 5k training. It's great to have someone to talk to about everything! I'm excited to start training myself on speedwork. I'm thrilled about a 12 min mile and not ashamed at all. I know I'm slow but I'm also 30 lbs heavier than I'd like to me, a new runner and relatively weak (I need some muscles, yo!) I can't wait to see myself improve and change over time. I'll let Andy take it from here and share his story. I'm so proud of him! (We ran together for 10 minutes until I decided to let him go his own pace.)


Andy:HI! The 5K was sort of amazing. Amanda didn't mention that running the 5K with us was a Polish Olympic athlete. I tried to stay up with him, but he pulled away at the end. He finished under 15 minutes...so maybe he pulled away from me at the start.

I was stoked with my time since really I have only been running for about 6 months. We are playing to run again in the end of April so I'm hoping for a sub 10 minute mile pace. I was at 10:39 on this, and I think I can do better.

However, things might change. I have some severe neck pain(not due to running, an old injury that I never got checked out which is coming to haunt me). I have an MRI on Monday. Doctor said surgery is a possibility so we shall see.

The expo at the end was pretty sweet. The good people at Dole (who sponsors the event) had banana, raisins, pineapple juice, and mandarins. Whole foods was there making crepes and pancakes. A local bagel place was giving away bagels. It was the 25th anniversary of the event, so everyone got a really sweet medal. Totally a fun day! I never thought I would like running, but I totally love it!

Next time Amanda and I will have to hold hands as we finish. Really piss everyone off. AMAZING.

Amanda again: Thanks everyone for your constant support! It means so much to us. I can't wait till the next 5k!

Labels: , , ,

28 Comments:

At March 28, 2010 at 11:12 AM , Blogger lynn said...

congrats guys! you should totally hold hands at the finish line....

 
At March 28, 2010 at 11:23 AM , Anonymous homecookedem said...

Congratulations to both of you!! What a gorgeous day for your first 5K! :)

 
At March 28, 2010 at 11:57 AM , Blogger Erica- Itzy's Kitchen said...

Nice job!!!! You both did fabulous- way to beat your goal times. Hope you feel better sweet heart!

 
At March 28, 2010 at 2:19 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your 5k!

 
At March 28, 2010 at 2:35 PM , Blogger Lori said...

Congratulations! That is fantastic, way to go to you both. I'm a really slow runner too, but 5Ks tend to speed me up a bit. I usually finished them a faster than expected. That's nice that you found a buddy towards the end. You should definitely be proud and I'm jealous of the crepes after the race. How cool! :)

Best wishes to Andy for the MRI. I hope all goes well.

 
At March 28, 2010 at 2:55 PM , Blogger Jenn said...

Fantastic!!! Nice job you two. I'm hoping to run my first marathon this year. *crossing fingers* :)

 
At March 28, 2010 at 3:05 PM , Blogger Gina; The Candid RD said...

Congrats to you and Andy!! And, your dad! Wow, I'm so impressed. I hope to do at least one 5k this year. I don't run, but I like to walk them, or if I feel like it I may run, it's just not my thing. I also hate paying for them unless it's really for a good cause. Ironically I'm organizing a 5k race in April for National Nutrition Month. The money is for the Mid Ohio Food bank. I REALLY hope the turnout is good! Come to Ohio and race if you want!! haha

 
At March 28, 2010 at 3:26 PM , Blogger Rachel said...

Congratulations! That is fabulous! I am no runner, so you get all my respect :)

 
At March 28, 2010 at 5:20 PM , Blogger AllThingsYummy said...

Congratulations on finishing the race. That's awesome.

 
At March 28, 2010 at 5:57 PM , Anonymous Lily @ Lily's Health Pad said...

The two of you are so adorable! Congrats on your speedy times.

 
At March 28, 2010 at 7:01 PM , Blogger Jolene - EverydayFoodie said...

Congratulations!!!!!!!! What an accomplishment :-)

 
At March 28, 2010 at 7:31 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

congrats!
i hope you're feeling ok and pain free!

 
At March 28, 2010 at 8:05 PM , Anonymous Ameena said...

Congratulations on completing the race! What an amazing accomplishment, and how cute would it be if you crossed the line holding hands?

I hope your knees, etc. feel better soon. I literally feel your pain!

Have a great Monday!

 
At March 28, 2010 at 8:36 PM , Anonymous Diana said...

Congrats on the 5K! Looks like you had a great time! I love how the lady ran up beside you at the end and you guys finished together. Sounds like runners have a great, encouraging group. :)

 
At March 28, 2010 at 9:39 PM , Anonymous sophia said...

I'm so happy you made it, and even better than you expected! You two seriously are so cute together...I almost expected you to finish the line holding hands, lol.

CONGRATS to both of you!

 
At March 29, 2010 at 6:59 AM , Blogger kat said...

Yeah for you guys!

 
At March 29, 2010 at 8:19 AM , Anonymous Andrea (Off Her Cork) said...

How cute are you guys!! Love it! I'm also totally showing this post to Scott so the dude will start running with me. :D

I love that you each shared your experience about the race and I'm so excited to see that you guys loved it and want to do another. Running is the bomb!

Anytime you guys want to chat running, racing, to vent or just talk, email me. I'll chat you up!

 
At March 29, 2010 at 8:20 AM , Blogger CASSIE said...

Congrats to both of you! Awesome job!
I was thinking about doing that race last year. I didn't even realize that it was this past weekend. Time flies.
I have some friends who want to do a Kiwanis race in Camarillo on April 10th. They want me to do the 10k but I haven't been training as much as I would like so I am thinking about doing the 5k. I'll also be doing the 5k or 10k Love Run in Westlake in June. It benefits the Meals on Wheels for Senior Concerns. It's a great course as it is mostly flat and the scenery is nice too, especially if you do the 10K. Check it out.

Hope your knee feels better and you find out what is going on with it.

 
At March 29, 2010 at 9:35 AM , Blogger Mo Diva said...

congrats you guys! that is so awesome! you both look amazing as well!
Mari is an amazing ROCK for support! Gotta love her!

 
At March 29, 2010 at 11:39 AM , Blogger Mari said...

You have no idea how proud of you I am! As I was reading this, my eyes were watering up!!!!!! You two are so amazing and such a great support system!

I think you totally kicked ass and I can not wait to hear about your future running adventures! I will always cheer you on from the east coast =)

 
At March 29, 2010 at 12:14 PM , Anonymous Fit Chick in the City said...

You guys are super cute! Congrats on the impressive time! I love that the race was a family affair.

 
At March 29, 2010 at 1:54 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

WOW great job!! that is so exciting!!!! so sweet yall both did that together!

 
At March 29, 2010 at 10:09 PM , Anonymous Jenny said...

Congratulations! You look amazing by the way...I'm somewhat of a new reader, and was just looking at the pics of your honeymoon the other week. Very inspiring to see how your hard work has paid off!

 
At March 30, 2010 at 7:00 AM , Anonymous brandi said...

congrats you two!!! So exciting :)

 
At March 30, 2010 at 8:26 AM , Blogger clare @ the pretty walrus said...

huuuge well done on the 5k! & omg you're looking so slim too!

lol so true, your dad looks like he might have just gone for a short, brisk walk...!!! well done again!

 
At March 30, 2010 at 2:49 PM , Blogger Janetha @ meals + moves said...

awesome, awesome, awesome times infinity! so glad you guys did that together. loved the recap and all the fun pics :) you guys are the cutest couple around blog land!

 
At March 30, 2010 at 6:43 PM , Anonymous ashleigh said...

CONGRATS!! You did amazing!!! You look so happy. I am so proud of you! 37 minutes is an awesome time! That's so cute you guy ran together, awww. Awesome job too Andy!

 
At April 2, 2010 at 9:43 AM , Blogger Drew and Joey said...

awesome job on the 5k! my first 5k is in 2 weeks and i'm getting really nervous but reading your recap made me excited! :) congrats!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home