This Page

has been moved to new address

Guest Post: Learning to love Turkish food

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: Guest Post: Learning to love Turkish food

This Page

has been moved to new address

Guest Post: Learning to love Turkish food

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: Guest Post: Learning to love Turkish food

Two Boos Who Eat

Welcome to Two Boos Who Eat.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Guest Post: Learning to love Turkish food

Hi guys! Today's guest post comes from my little sister Kerry. Kerry is the second child out of five (I'm the oldest) and she offered to guest post for me. Isn't that sweet?

Hello Two Boos readers! I’m Amanda’s younger sister, Kerry. And just like her, I am a fan of food. But up until the last couple of years, you wouldn’t have known it. I was extremely picky and extremely bored with food. Then I met my boyfriend, Burc and everything changed.
Burc is from Turkey and I was privileged enough to go with him to his home town of Istanbul in September of 2008.

little pizza

Here I am with a little pizza from the bakery down the street from Burc’s parents apartment. Amazing!
I fell in love with Turkish food. And after getting back home, I knew I had to learn to make it! So I’ve decided to share with you my first attempts at various dishes.

sarma

This is Sarma. It’s a seasoned ground beef mixture wrapped in grape leaves. Serve it with garlic yogurt and you have perfection! This dish is VERY time consuming to make and challenging…but I did amazingly well for my first try.

borek 1

Here is my attempt at baked borek, a delicious pastry. Burc’s anne (mother) sent me a recipe that calls for a ground beef mixture. Let me tell you working with fillo dough is the toughest part. I also really needed a proper baking dish…not a cookie sheet. Borek can also be filled with many other ingredients. I love with stuffed with feta cheese and then fried! They call that version sigar borek because of the way the fillo is shaped.

mix

The other night I made kofte, a sort of meat ball. (Wow, I didn’t realize all of these included meat!) I used corn starch instead of flour which actually worked great.

kofte

After combining all the ingredients, I shaped the meat into little baby patties.

fry

Fried with a bit of oil

cooked

And viola!

jasmine rice

Jasmine rice goes great with kofte.

plain yogurt

And Yogurt! You wouldn’t believe how many Turkish dishes involve yogurt. Everything from kebabs to a ravoli called manti.

house cafe mosque

View from The House Café in Ortakoy, Istanbul Turkey.
Well guys that’s it for now! I hope you enjoyed it.

Thanks Kerry! Hopefully, I can get my littlest sister Emily to guest post too. I'd ask my 8 year old brother but he'd probably write about corn dogs.

Check out previous guest posts:

Post from my sister Sarah

Post from One Healthy Apple

If you ever want to guest post, let me know!

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

At August 2, 2010 at 1:22 PM , Anonymous homecookedem said...

Hi Kerry! Great post! I've never had Turkish food, but all of that looks really good!! I did have a student from Turkey a couple years ago and it's interesting for me to get a glimpse into their cuisine.

 
At August 2, 2010 at 2:04 PM , Blogger Your best advice said...

great post, I like that heart measuring cup..too cute

 
At August 2, 2010 at 4:57 PM , Blogger Emily K McGreevy said...

should i post about cookies? haha.

 
At August 2, 2010 at 9:39 PM , Blogger Yelena said...

I love this post! What a great job and I would love to try Turkish food one day.

 
At August 3, 2010 at 10:43 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

Kerry-Good to see you finally using my Christmas present.

 
At August 7, 2010 at 1:32 PM , Anonymous Eden said...

I love guest posts! just did one on my blog. Kerry, you look so much like amanda! I've always wanted to go to Turkey ever since I was in high school and learned all about the "Ottoman Empire". I dont know much about turkish food, but my dad only drinks turkish coffee so I'm sure the rest of the cuisine must be delicious!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home