This Page

has been moved to new address

4th of July in Kauai: Part 1

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: 4th of July in Kauai: Part 1

This Page

has been moved to new address

4th of July in Kauai: Part 1

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: 4th of July in Kauai: Part 1

Two Boos Who Eat

Welcome to Two Boos Who Eat.

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

4th of July in Kauai: Part 1

145

Beware! You are in for a semi-picture heavy post. This was the 4th of July, the day before our one year anniversary. We decided it would be fantastic to visit Waimea Canyon (aka the Grand Canyon of the Pacific) to celebrate.

146

On the way up to the canyon, I noticed this waterfall in the red dirt. It was so random and strangely beautiful.

150

Then we got to our first lookout. We walked around a lot so we wore our running shoes and I carried my Nike + with me to track our mileage.

151

Holy crap. I was not prepared for this kind of beauty.

155

161

Andy ditched those Target brand sunglasses a day later. Buyer beware. $10 sunglasses don't last long.

163

The island of Niihau is 17 miles southwest of Kauai and we were able to take a peek.

164

165

Barely there but we saw it.

167

Then came the second lookout.

169

What a stunner. Oops...I mean...

168

172

178

There was a lot of driving involved between stopping to look at different things so we snacked on these addicting Maui Onion chips. I know they sell them on the mainland but I never buy them. Only in Hawaii!

179

180

The Na Pali cliffs are stunning from this angle. I wish we could have seen them from the ocean!

184

187

Andy was brave enough to get close to the edge. I was semi-freaking out.

189

I am unnaturally scared of heights and ducked down low to avoid feeling dizzy. Don't laugh. Okay. Laugh if you must but don't come crying to me when you're stuck in a glass elevator on the 20th floor of a high building. (Story for another time.)

190

Doesn't this look scream, "I just invaded your land!" Totally.

191

This look screams wistful and serene Andrew.

194

Once we got down, we stopped at Island Taco. I read reviews on Yelp and decided we should split an order of kalua pork tacos.

195

They were huge and stuffed with salty pulled pork and crunchy cabbage. We each ate one taco.

196

And split an order of coconut shrimp.

197

From Shrimp Station which is right across the street from Island Taco. I highly recommend both! The shrimp was very delicious albeit a little greasy. They had some grilled shrimp options also.

198

And it's a shack. A tiny little hole in the wall. Food always tastes better from smaller places like this.

After lunch, we headed back to Poipu to change clothes and see Spouting Horn.

199

202

Needless to say, it was STUNNING!

203

Not unlike this young man here.

204

I rewore the same dress twice. Shame on me.

206

We decided that the 4th of July requires some alcoholic beverages. In the form of tiki drinks. Andy and I started with Mai Tais.

208

The bartender made me a red, white and blue pina colada. It was surprisingly refreshing and not too sugary sweet. I loved it.

209

Then came Hula Pie! If you have ever been to a Duke's restaurant, then you have had Hula Pie. It's macadamia nut ice cream, fudge, whipped cream and bliss in pie form. Very indulgent and very delicious. (This explains why I gained weight in Kauai...)

213

Afterwards we walked to the beach closest to our condo and watched some fireworks.

215

219

Fireworks on the beach? Pretty fantastic.

223

Next up: Our one year wedding anniversary in paradise.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , , , ,

7 Comments:

At July 21, 2010 at 10:16 AM , Anonymous homecookedem said...

Awesome!! What amazing views!! And those tacos and the shrimp look pretty fantastic. I always rewear dresses on vacation!! No shame!! ;) Looking forward to your anniversary post!! :)

 
At July 21, 2010 at 10:31 AM , Blogger Sarah said...

I want coconut shrimp. MMM.

 
At July 21, 2010 at 10:40 AM , Anonymous brandi said...

the pictures are so beautiful! I'm living vicariously through you 2 since I'm not sure I"ll ever make it to Hawaii! :)

 
At July 21, 2010 at 11:45 AM , Blogger Erica said...

gahhhhhhhhh- so beautiful! What a trip! An experience you two will remember forever!!! The food looks awesome too- those Mai Tais? How gorgeous are they? The mexican looks great!

I agree- Jay Robb protein is delicious. I haven't tried that flavor yet and I really want to!

 
At July 21, 2010 at 2:54 PM , Anonymous Katie @ Healthy Heddleston said...

Wow you had such a clear day at the top of the Waimea Canyon! During my stay in Kauai I went to the top 3 times (once by myself and twice with visitors) and not ONCE was it that clear. Wow! Spectacular!!

Wasn't Duke's the BEST!?!? My husband and I ate there and loved it.. we had hula pie too :)

 
At July 21, 2010 at 4:18 PM , Anonymous Ameena said...

Your dress is so pretty it deserves to be work...gasp...a third time! No seriously, you look great in it...the color suits you.

I miss Hawaii now! I love all the pics.

 
At July 22, 2010 at 7:43 AM , Anonymous Autumn @Good Eats Girl said...

Wow...what amazing pictures! Looks like a fabulous times! And the food looks awesome...loving the pretty drinks, too!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home