This Page

has been moved to new address

November Challenge

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: November Challenge

This Page

has been moved to new address

November Challenge

Sorry for inconvenience...

Redirection provided by Blogger to WordPress Migration Service
Two Boos Who Eat: November Challenge

Two Boos Who Eat

Welcome to Two Boos Who Eat.

Sunday, November 1, 2009

November Challenge

Giving credit where it’s due, this is an idea I got from two different blogs. This morning I read this post on Emily's blog over at Eatventures and I remember reading about this challenge on Kath's blog last year. Read Kath's post here

The Thanksgiving Challenge is twofold – you limit your grocery spending for one month, flexing your economic muscles and you use the opportunity for reflection. What better month (Thanksgiving) to give thanks for what we have? I also love this idea because Andy and I have been meaning to cut back for awhile and a challenge like this is perfect. I need to save for Christmas!

The “challenge” is to limit your food budget to $100 for the month of November. We are a two-person household, you may want to move this number depending on the size of your own family.

Here are the rules Andy and I will be following -

1. Track your food purchases for 1 month, spending no more than $100
2. Non-food grocery items (toilet paper, shampoo, etc) do not count
3. You start with whatever you happen to have in the fridge/pantry
4. Birthday dinners with friends are not going to count but we are going to try to spend less on them. (In November we have 3 birthdays to celebrate including Andy's on the 21st. He'll be 27!)
5. Andy goes to Starbucks 2-3 times a week to write lesson plans and grade papers. He doesn't spend much on coffee since he prefers "just coffee" so we'll only count coffees that cost more than $3.

Andy and I spend about $500 a month on food currently. Which is totally disgusting and appalling to me. We go out to eat way too often and buy way too many groceries. Luckily we have quite a bit in the fridge, freezer and pantry and I am looking forward to eating that down. December we will start fresh! For us, this challenge is more about awareness and not about strict rules and starving to make the challenge work. And I love Top Ramen (guilty pleasure!) but I will not eat it nightly to save money. We'll still strive for healthy living!

I would love it if my readers, bloggers or not, would join me in this challenge. Are you game? Please leave a comment if you want to participate!

Labels: ,

10 Comments:

At November 1, 2009 at 3:57 PM , Blogger Jenny said...

wowza -- this certainly is a challenge. I'll try and give it a whirl...emphasis on the TRY! ;)

 
At November 1, 2009 at 4:34 PM , Blogger seussgirl said...

Good luck - that's a crazy-low number! We're currently already trying to cut our food budget due to lack-of-income, but it's tough. I found in October that starting with a cash envelope and tracking a running total in the store has helped me!
I'll be interested to follow how you do. :)

 
At November 2, 2009 at 4:41 AM , Blogger healthy ashley said...

I remember this challenge on Kath's blog and thinking it was an awesome idea. Good luck!!

 
At November 2, 2009 at 9:27 AM , Anonymous Jessica said...

Cool idea! Great to learn to practice contentment and use what you have!

 
At November 3, 2009 at 12:03 PM , Blogger Ashley said...

WOW! That is a very tight budget for food! Good luck! I will definitely be cutting down the spending this month too.

 
At November 3, 2009 at 6:35 PM , Anonymous Melissa said...

I don't know what my boyfriend and I currently spend on food, but it's definitely WAY too much.

I'll TRY the November Challenge. Even if I don't succeed, I think it will help to take a close look at what I spend on food.

 
At November 4, 2009 at 4:13 PM , Blogger sam said...

I love this idea Amanda! I am going to try it out this month!! I gave myself 150.00 though lol.

 
At November 5, 2009 at 12:11 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, that is a challenge! But I totally admire you for taking it on. I currently spend about $200 a month but I would like to get that down eventually too. I'm not going to officially do the challenge but I am going to stay aware and try to use stuff up too :)

 
At November 11, 2009 at 10:22 AM , Blogger M. Lilly Grohman said...

Hmm. I'm pretty sure we're too late for November, but I WILL try it for December. If I can get Mr. Lilly to participate.

~Ms. Lilly

 
At November 11, 2009 at 11:13 AM , Blogger Aurora said...

This is totally awesome! Good for you two on doing this. I'm inspired. I'll get on the wagon as well!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home